Mar 23, 2010

way home, wildlife, & wile e. coyote......

So, just thought I'd do a quick update. Everythings going well in our new apartment. Its very nice. A little less space than we were used to but we are making do! Its been interesting to try out a new routine in the mornings though. I honestly thought this would take a few minutes (15 ?? was I THAT hopeful?!) but alas; it doesn't take any time off my commute. On the flip side I guess I should be happy that it doesn't add any either. So either way, it takes the same amount of time to get from here to LR. Now BLAKES commute has significantly decreased! I think he said it takes him ~ 7 minutes. I wish that were my commute!!! Oh well. It is my dream job so I guess I don't need to complain. Speaking of work, it is going good. I have been so busy these past few weeks, I feel like I just can not stay caught up. Long story short, that should end tomorrow for 1 reason or another. I am glad because I need a little bit of a break from the OVERLOAD of cases.

At our new apartment we have a small (tiny) back porch that is in full sun when the sun starts to go down. I thought it would be fun to try my hand at growing some flowers in a pot on the back porch. We found some purple calla lilies at Home Depot & we (Blake) planted them today! It said not to expect results until at least 8 weeks & I may not even see flowers this year, it may take until next year. Don't ask me why all of a sudden I've decided to try out my green thumb....I have no answer. I DO know that my grandma BB had a garden while I was growing up & she had SO many different types of flowers. We would go on walks & she would point out & name every kind of tree & flower etc. I never learned that (I wasn't into that part of bio) but I could at least appreciate all the different varieties.

I also remember one of my classes at UCA when we had to go out to the Jewel Moore Nature Reserve & look at the wildlife & plantlife. I had such a good time, I was honestly surprised. Then in an ecology class we had to go to Tucker Creek (in Conway) & Cadron Creek (south of Damascus) & look for the differences in the wildlife. I had such an awesome time at both places it really had a profound effect on me. I'll be honest, I'm about 50/50 an indoor/outdoor girl but I really enjoyed my time at the Creeks. SO-long story short, when I saw the flowers I thought it would be a great way to 'reconnect' with nature if you will & just have fun & try something different. We'll see how it works out. I'm sure I'll be sharing pictures on here if it does work out.

On a different note, I am not proud of what I am about to share with everyone but I will share for the necessity of safety: I fell down the stairs at our new apartment! There, I said it! I was talking with a coworker today & I had told them about my incident & they asked "Did you break anything?" I could just look at them with a 'REALLY???" expression on my face. I then proceeded to tell them the only thing I broke was my pride. Anyways, if you want the gory details: it was raining Sunday & we had to go get groceries. Blake was carting them from the car to the bottom of the stairs & I was toting them from the bottom to the apartment. I had tennis shoes on (which incidentally have GREAT traction.....I am being sarcastic here people) and I was heading back down for another batch of groceries. I guess with my shoes being wet & the way my foot landed (half on half off the stair) and I had a Wile E. Coyote moment where my feet were right in front of me & suddenly my body was horizontal to the stairs instead of vertical. I went down hard & my back & shoulder managed to take the brunt of the injury and I proceeded down 7 stairs in this fashion.

Luckily I didn't hit my head or my neck which was very fortunate. Needless to say, I have been hobbling around the past 2 days at work & I am very miserable. I won't complain because I did get off lucky but I've been playing the what-if game all day with myself-scary. I do have a few bruised ribs, I am self diagnosing here, but it hurts to breath in & out which is 1 of the symptoms. My shoulder is swollen in areas & I have a bruise in the shape of Tennessee on my back! And as most people know, I am a very clumsy person. My nickname in hs was Grace & my SR quote was "Gravity hates me", but I've never taken a spill quite that bad. Most of my injuries have been cuts/scars not bruises/miserable. So, our 1st week really ended with a BANG in my opinion but at the end of the day, I'll take a few bruised ribs, a swollen shoulder, and a large bruise over anything broken (except my pride!!). Hope everyone has a better week than the way my started off.

0 comments: