I've had a few comments from everyone about the post "Lisey's story". I thought I would share a little more about it since I got 'great reviews' on it. Stephen King writes very descriptively, a lot of people don't read him for that fact. He also starts out slow in his books. But if you can make it past all this its worth it and very rewarding. Especially in Lisey's story. As I said, it starts out, in the middle, if you will, of this womans life. I know nothing about her, her life, her marriage, or even that her husband is dead, let alone how he died. But thats what draws you in. The mystery of it. He takes an ordinary woman, with somewhat ordinary circumstances, and brings her alive to me. King makes me want to learn about her, care about what happens to her & cry out for her. Heres an exerpt from the book that I thought would share:
Scott Speaking:
When it was done and you went to sleep, I lay awake and listened to the clock on your nightstand and the wind outside and understood that I was really home, that in bed with you was home, and something that had been getting close in the dark was suddenly gone. It could not stay. It had been banished. It knew how to come back, I was sure of that, but it could not stay, and I could really go to sleep. My heart cracked with gratitude. I think it was the first gratitude I’ve ever really known. I lay there beside you and the tears rolled down the sides of my face and onto the pillow. I loved you then and I love you now and I have loved you every second in between. I don’t care if you understand me. Understanding is vastly overrated, but nobody ever gets enough safety. I’ve never forgotten how safe I felt with that thing gone out of the darkness.
.…She had given him all the safety she knew how to give, but it hadn’t been enough. In the end Scott’s thing had come back for him, anyway-that thing he had sometimes glimpsed in mirrors and waterglasses, the thing with the vast piebald side. The long boy.
Lisey looked around the study fearfully for just a moment, and wondered if it was watching her now.
There are so many more exerpts I would love to add but I don't want to spoil the whole book. Just in case some of you decide to read it. Plus I think the message he sends, it doesn't matter if you understand me & my life, all that matters is that it feels like home to me, is great. I completely agree. Its not so much that I don't care about you & your understanding, its more of a closure to me & my problems & issues. I think Stephen King is trying to send the message that home is where your heart is & when you find that 1 special person you should appreciate every moment with them, the good & the bad. I also think he believes you should learn from the past, not live in it which I think a lot of people have problems with. Anyways, I will quit boring everyone with Stephen King, just thought Lisey's story deserved a little more attention
Oct 29, 2007
Lisey's story continued....
Our latest thoughts posted by Blake and Kristen Mauldin at 2:18 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment