.....and then comes God. I heard this saying once when I was in college & its never left me. All my life I've been interested in science. When I was little, my dad really enjoyed star gazing & had a nice telescope. We lived on top of a 'mountain' and at night we'd always look at the stars. Since then, I've been hooked. My dad used to tell me I was born a scientist.
I was also brought up in church, nothing unusual about that in the south. So growing up, being interested in science but firmly believing in God, there was always a 'dilemma'. For example: big bang theory vs. creating the earth in 7 days; or this fossil is billions of years old vs. the earth is only so old. I don't know, I always thought it was an interesting conflict. Science explains so much, so many laws but it just can't seem to explain EVERYTHING. There is just 'incomplete data' and basically no one knows, but God.
You could get me started on just about anything, what really happened to the dinosaurs, does global warming really exist (no in my opinion but thats another argument for another day), is there evolution of species (not in the sense that we came from monkeys.........but yes in other ways, yet again another argument). But astronomy & where we 'really came from' has always fascinated me.
Recently, I heard about an experiment to study & recreate the big bang theory using a powerful particle collider. I thought it was so interesting. Basically, several beams of energy will be brought into collision and then the energy will be increased. The machine will not reach full potential/design performance until 2010. Then we watch & see what happens. They are looking for a specific particle, the Higgs Boson, to be 'created' from the collision. It is also known as the God particle, which I also thought was creative and properly named. A law suit that was filed (and dismissed) stated that such a machine could destroy the world, basically by creating a black hole. Red button day is currently scheduled for September 10th to begin turning on the machine.
Either way, it should be exciting to see what is gleaned from this experiment. I've asked a few people if they'd heard of this experiment but only 1 other person I know has-my dad. So I thought I would share about this since hardly anyone seems to know about it. If anyone is interested in looking at the news article its at: http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/08/07/1252902.aspx
I also want to add that I don't feel the need to justify my beliefs either, there are some things I'm sure I believe in that you probably don't and vice-versa. And I'm also not saying I do or don't believe in the big bang theory. Its just that, a theory. I think it is interesting to learn about it and any possible explanations. What you believe is up to you. I know Einstein said that the more he studied the universe, the more he believed in a higher power; thats the way I feel too. I guess the bottom line is-you have to decide for yourself. You have to study & learn about things & then decide which beliefs you agree with.

1 comments:
Very interesting! Melissa g.
Post a Comment