I would have flipped out. Maybe that's too kind: I would've been screaming my head off when the power went out at the Crime Lab on Tuesday morning, IF I had been in the morgue. Ugh, can you imagine??? So when the power went out, the emergency power (aka=generator) should have kicked on, right, RIGHT?????? WRONG! It was so so bad. For obvious reasons I won't go into detail about where the morgue is located at the Crime Lab but I will say there are no windows (yet again, for obvious reasons). So pitch black, no emergency generator, the last place I ever would want to be at, at work, when the power went off would be the morgue.
Luckily, I was in my section with plenty of windows, far far away from.....'other things'. The dark doesn't bother me, 'other things' do not bother me-separately. Now, put them together, I'm sure I'd be screaming, especially if I: a. wasn't expecting it, and b. basically anytime it would ever happen. Yup, I'll admit it. That just sounds like the plot from an old 1950's Vincent Price horror movie. I have an over active imagination & I'm sure that, in combination of a heart attack FROM my over active imagination, would've done me in.
The generator tried its best to kick on but it kept failing. After awhile, they were able to keep the generator going but its not designed to carry EVERYTHING. So, around 1 pm, we were finally sent home (we didn't have anything to do!!). During the down time between the power going out & them sending us home, we were basically sitting in the dark trying to make the best of the situation. How do you make a situation like that better in any shape, way, form, or fashion??? You can't. I just kept sitting there thinking, ugh, what if??? What if I'd been in there?? What about the people that were possibly in there??? Granted, I'm sure they could've walked out, but that's not the point. So it was a very bad day, and with no air conditioning I was happy when we were finally sent home.
Lets just say Tuesday, I got a taste of what it really means to ME & my over active imagination to really work for the Crime Lab. It doesn't deter me in the least, it just gives my imagination a few new twists that it didn't have & didn't need before. At least I hope I'll be a little bit more prepared the next time. I just can't imagine.....what if?! So if your power has been out the past few days, or the next time it goes out, just remember, it could ALWAYS be worse, you could be stuck at work!!!!!

0 comments:
Post a Comment