Sep 10, 2008

Red Button Day!


Today was red button day (actually around 3 am this morning) and it worked! The Large Hadron Collider (Big Bang Machine) was turned on this morning & there was success! Several law suits have been filed against the machine, including: it will create several black holes & it will destroy the world. I don't know if any tiny black holes were created or not yet but I do know, it didn't destroy the world like many people feared.
Basically, it will take a few years for it to get up to full potential but today it was slowly turned on to begin sending 1 beam of protons through supercooled pipes. Eventually a second beam will be turned on going in the opposite direction & they will slowly increase the speeds. Once the speeds reach ~ 99.999999% the speed of light they will slam into each other & melt into energy which is going to be 100,000 times hotter than the sun's core-which should replicate what happened in the universe just an instant after it came into being. Hopefully looking for the elusive 'God particle'.
Anyways, more to come I'm sure from the next red button day, I'm just glad this 1 was a success!

0 comments: