Usually Blake & I don't share homework assignments or anything of that nature but I thought this was interesting. He was asked to write whether he agrees or disagrees with the following statement. Since I also work in a lab setting where there are stringent safety rules, it really made me stop & think.
Quote: Lawrence A. Bullis of Phoenix, Printed in The Arizona Republic and Harper's
"Every day some new do-gooder is trying to save us from ourselves. We have so many laws and safety commissions to ensure our safety that it seems nearly impossible to have an accident. The problem is that we need accidents, and lots of them. Danger is nature's way of eliminating stupid people. Without safety, stupid people die in accidents.
With safety, however well-intentioned it may be, we are developing into half-witted mutants, because idiots, who by all rights should be dead, are spared from their rightful early graves and are free to breed even more imbeciles. Let's do away with safety and improve our species. Take up smoking. Jaywalk. Play with blasting caps. Swim right after a big meal. Stick something small in your ear. Take your choice of dangerous activity and do it with gusto. Future generations will thank you".
What do you think? We just thought we'd throw this out & see what kind of comments it receives. Blakes opinion: he agrees. Why? Your basically giving people the opportunity to not think consciously. My opinion: I agree. Why? In a safety situation you have to think on your feet. You don't have a safety manual walking you through the situation & holding your hand. Besides, life is to short and I do think you should go for all the gusto you can grab. And how else can you learn if you don't make mistakes to learn from them? I don't know that we'll take up any dangerous activity this week, but you can always check back at a later date.
We we want to hear from our rampant readers. What do you think? C'mon blogging world, what do YOU have to say on OUR blog??? Feel free to comment or vote!
Sep 21, 2008
What do you have to say?
Our latest thoughts posted by Blake and Kristen Mauldin at 7:54 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I AGREE 100%
Post a Comment